Saturday, August 29, 2009

Tofu for Your BBQ




What in the Tofu Do You Think You are Doing?


After experimenting for the past couple of months, I have got some new ideas. I apologize to those who have been waiting for the next tasty recipe, but I'm trying my hardest to get you something twice a month.

Lately, I've been finding it a challenge to bring you the best of the best. I have been experimenting all summer long and until this tofu idea, I had nothing!

Out of respect for your valuable time in the kitchen, I am not going to endorse anything that is not great. To make the LGV cut, I have to LOVE it and so do my meat-eating counterparts. Anything that ends up on my vegan blog is a regular dish on my rotating personal menu!

In case you hadn't noticed, I am trying to compile a list of recipes that will satisfy meat eaters, vegetarians, vegans and those who are still undecided and caught in between. For me, it's about good food and good health, which brings me to my next concoction -BBQ Tofu. While this dish is probably not all that original for the die-hard vegetarian, it is still worth presenting on this blog, especially for those who have yet to discover the true potential of tofu.

I hope you enjoy this dish as much as my brother and his girlfriend did. I was very surprised at the enthusiastic response I received from a couple of hard core meat-eaters. I have actually begun to crave this dish, I hope you do too!

You will need:

1 brick of extra firm tofu
1/4 cup of soy sauce
1/4 cup of sesame oil
4 tablespoons of agave nectar
1 teaspoon of liquid smoke (optional)
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1/4 cup of toasted sesame seeds
Added to taste: Vegetarian Worcestershire sauce (sans fish ingredients) and other spices or seasonings of your choice

Tofu preparation instructions:

-Freeze tofu for at least 24 hours if you prefer your tofu to have a tougher "chicken texture". Otherwise, just use immediately after purchase.
-Squeeze out excess liquid from tofu. You can do this with your bare hands over the sink or you can more effectively soak up liquid by squeezing with paper towels.
-Once tofu is prepared, quarter into preferred tofu steak sizes. One brick of tofu can usually make 4 steaks as in the photo.
-Put tofu aside and prepare sauce.

Sauce instructions:

-Stir all wet ingredients into a medium bowl
-Once all ingredients are well mixed, add tofu
-Marinate tofu, flipping it in sauce and coating steaks well (tofu will absorb flavour like a sponge)
-Leave for minimum, 1 hour
-For extra strong flavour, leave overnight
-Take steaks out of sauce and place on a plate
-Sprinkle sesame seeds on both sides

Cooking instructions:

***Recommended: BBQ for 10 minutes on each side on medium flame. Longer, if you like your food cooked to well done.
-Alternatively, pan fry on medium until cooked to satisfaction.

Voila, your tofu steaks are done to perfection. Goes great, with a side caesar salad and a tall glass of vegan beer. Get outside and enjoy what is left of the summer we never had!

jd



No comments:

Welcome to LGV!

Joy Deveeve brings you a fresh Canadian blog dedicated to the healthiest and tastiest vegan recipes on the planet. Tested in her own kitchen, Joy delivers recipes that are sure to inspire new ideas and bring your meat loving friends over to the good side of life!