Friday, April 3, 2009

Vegan Drinking


What to Drink, or What Not To Drink? That is the Question!

It occurred to me recently, that most vegan cookbooks and magazines out there only focus on food. So when it comes to drink, what is a vegan to do? I decided to do a bit of research into the liquid side of vegan life. I have also decided to devote an entire section of my blog to the art of vegan drinking, so keep checking back for updates.

Aside from the obviously healthy and delicious juices and smoothie concoctions out there, I investigated alcoholic beverages as well. As an avid wine and beer taster, I was curious to know if I was ingesting animal products while sipping on my favourite brew.

I found a great website (http://barnivore.com) for those who might be curious about their favourite brands. I have also included a recipe for my favourite morning smoothie. I cannot live without this breakfast smoothie, it is delicious, and yes, it is most definitely vegan!

1 banana
2 fresh or soaked dried dates
2 cups cold water (or 1 1/2 cups cold water plus 1 cup ice)
1/4 cup almonds (or 2 tbsp raw almond butter)
1 tbsp ground flaxseed
1 tbsp hemp protein
1 tbsp roasted carob powder (or cacao nibs to make smoothie 100% raw)

Blend all smoothie ingredients in a blender until smooth.
Makes about 3 1/2 cups, or 2 large servings.

From The Thrive Diet by Brendan Brazier

No comments:

Welcome to LGV!

Joy Deveeve brings you a fresh Canadian blog dedicated to the healthiest and tastiest vegan recipes on the planet. Tested in her own kitchen, Joy delivers recipes that are sure to inspire new ideas and bring your meat loving friends over to the good side of life!